Saturday, November 21, 2015

Q & A with Rachel Kenley on the Publication of Her Beastly Stepbrother

How did you come up with the idea for this book?
Lori Perkins and I were talking about how popular the stepbrother trope was becoming for readers.  Since I'm a writer who loves to play with fairy tales it seemed like a great combination.  For Her Beastly Stepbrother it was a matter of creating a hero who was not beautiful to look at but strong within and a heroine who has always seen the good in him and not cared about the outside package.

What else can we expect from you?
I am doing at least six more stepbrother fairy tale retellings. Next up is a sexy new version of the holiday classic The Nutcracker.  I'm also going to be having fun with Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and The Snow Queen (the basis for the Disney movie Frozen) as well as a few others.

Why do you write about fairy tales and erotic romance?
Each time I revisit a fairy tale I discover something new in the story I want to explore - and something new about myself.  Fairy tales shine a light on both our greatest fears and our greatest dreams and hopes.  With so much fear and negativity in the news these days, I love the opportunity to be one of the people focused on creating stories about dreams and hopes coming true.

And what is it with Stepbrothers? 
I think it's a combination of things - the first is the slightly illicit aspect of the relationship.  There's nothing so tempting as that which has been forbidden.  Of course there's nothing actually wrong with having a relationship with your stepbrother but it's just a little to the left of acceptable.  In addition, I think there is something special about a relationship that started when two people were very young - before thoughts of sex or marriage would ever have entered the picture. The connection is made over a long period of time in many different ways, including important shared experiences.  It creates a deep bond, a lasting love that few real-world relationships are able to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment